Serums can deliver powerful benefits for our skin if used in the correct way. We’re taking a deeper look at the key benefits of a serum and whether you should be using one in your skincare routine.
What is a serum?
Typically, serums have a lightweight texture, are usually water based and contain a high concentration of active ingredients that can penetrate deep into skin layers to address specific skin concerns. They absorb quickly which makes them ideal to apply after cleansing and before moisturising.
How is a serum different to a mosituriser?
Serums are water-based, thinner and lighter compared to moisturisers, they contain smaller molecules which means they can penetrate deeper through the skin barrier. Serums will most often target specific concerns such as fine lines, acne, dullness or dryness, to give an extra boost to support the skin. Moisturisers tend to contain oils and work to repair and replenish the skin barrier, providing a hydrating seal.
Benefits of using a serum
- Highly concentrated ingredients – The higher concentration of active ingredients may provide more visible results compared to other skincare products. The ishga Regenerating Face Serum contains a high concentration of skin regenerating Hebridean seaweed extract, making it ideal to firm the skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduces breakouts – The lightweight, water-based texture means that serums won't leave an oily residue on your skin, absorbing into your skin reducing the chance of breakouts.
- Soothes the skin – Serums provide deep nourishment and keep skin calm and cool. ishga Regenerating Face Serum contains aloe vera which is ideal for reducing redness and inflammation whilst promoting a refreshed and even skin tone.
- Protects the skin from free radicals – The fucus serratus seaweed extract used in our serum contains high levels of natural antioxidants known as polyphenols. These antioxidants provide protection against damage to the skin by neutralising free radicals (damaging atoms in the air).
How to apply a serum in an effective skincare routine
- Cleanse your skin either using ishga Active Cleansing Lotion , Exfoliating Face Wash, or Marine Cleansing Balm.
- Apply a light spritz of Hebridean Marine Toner to balance skin’s ph.
- Take a small pea sized amount of Regenerating Face Serum onto your fingers and lightly tap the product into your skin with fingertip raindrop motions. Avoid rubbing it in.
- Wait 1-2 minutes to allow the serum to absorb properly. You will feel it instantly firm the skin.
- You are now ready to apply your facial oil or moisturiser.
What makes ishga Regenerating Face Serum so effective?
Our serum recently won the Better Age Skincare Category at the Health & Wellbeing Awards 2023.
Our organic serum is made using a high concentration of Hebridean seaweed extract, mineral-rich Hebridean sea water and soothing aloe vera. These natural ingredients combine to penetrate deep into your skin, giving you brighter and firmer skin.